SAFE Announcements and Events:
- SAFE consortium AGM: 13 MAY Teleconference
The 2016 Annual General Meeting of the SAFE consortium will take place in two parts. Part I will be 13 MAY 2016 by Teleconference. Part II will be 21 OCTOBER 2016 at the SAFE Annual Event: a workshop at the Food Factory 2016 Conference in Laval France.
- SAFE Event 2016: Safe Food for the Future. 21 Oct
Our food is changing: Immigration, globalization, cosmopolitan eating habits and increased international travel are bringing traditional ethnic foods and new fusion dishes into Europe. Soon, new foods and alternate food sources from e.g., food processing waste streams, insects and microalgae may be available; new bio-preservatives and smart packaging may prolong shelf life; and thorough characterization, sustainability and safety assessments will have to be carried out. Food recalls and foodborne outbreaks caused by contamination with toxins, undeclared allergens, hazardous chemicals and/or pathogenic agents are rising. In 2013 the World Health Organisation reported 322 deaths in the EU/EEA from foodborne bacterial disease alone and in 2015 they reported ‘increasing exposure to the risk of foodborne disease’. To protect the European consumer, who assumes that any food found anywhere in Europe is safe to eat, the safety of foods of the future and of emerging bio-based food technologies needs immediate and constant attention.
- Workshop Date: Friday 21 October 2016
- Workshop Location: Laval France as part of the Food Factory for the Future 8th International Conference
- Workshop Cost: Free, but you must be registered for the Food Factory Conference through their website
- SAFE Member Meetings 2016: 18 APRIL
The date of the next SAFE consortium EB meeting is 18 APRIL 2016 at 15.00 CET.
Log in as a SAFE member to download agendas and minutes from EB meetings and from SAFE member meetings. Once logged in, these documents become available as an article in Past Events. Minutes from previous years are also available as separate articles in Past Events.
- 18 Jan 2016
- 22 Feb 2016
- 15 March 2016
- 18 April at 15H CET
photo credit: local537.com
AZTI-Tecnalia is a non-profit private foundation committed to the social and economical development of the marine environment and food sector and is part of Tecnalia Corporation (www.tecnalia.es). The Food Research Division at AZTI is aimed at improving the quality, productivity and innovation of food products and processes. It offers applied R&D on (i) Food Safety and Biodetection (ii) New Food Products (iii) Novel Technologies (iv) Sustainability of the Food Chain.
AZTI-Tecnalia has been a member of the SAFE consoritum since 2007.
Non-profit Research Organization - Technological Centre
Description: AZTI-Tecnalia, a Technological Centre specialised in Marine and Food Research, is a private non-profit organization, whose objective is the social development and the improvement of competitiveness in its area of influence by means of technological Research and Innovation. Since 1981, AZTI-Tecnalia has had a large number of clients in companies, institutions, and public administrations for which they carry out research oriented projects geared towards the knowledge generation, and high-added value technological products and services focused on solving specific problems. The added value of our organization is based on the permanent training of our staff by means of R&D&i and the capacity to develop applications, which means efficient solutions to focus on the demands of public administrations and companies in the private sector. Our policy is that of permanent investment in technical-scientific equipment and in the continuous training of our professionals in search for technological excellence. Results that reaffirm our position as an expert technological centre in Marine and Food Research with in-house developments in I&DT and guaranteeing maximum confidentiality of our projects at all times. AZTI-Tecnalia has promoted the creation of 7 companies in the last 5 years.
Address: Bizkaiko Teknologi Parkea. Astondo Bidea - Edif. 609
Town: Derio (Bizkaia)
Telephone Number: +34 94 657 4000
Fax Number: +34 94 657 2555
More Information: www.alimentatec.com
Contact person: Begoña Pérez-Villarreal, Business Director of AZTI - Food Research Division
Sectors of Activity: Food industry, food processors, food supply chain, food industry equipment providers, food distributors-Retailers, Food Service, Food control and anlysis.
Areas of Research:
* Food Safety and Quality:
- Detection systems for the control, identification and traceability applied to food products: New diagnosis methods; Biosensors; Molecular biology techniques; Smart packaging
- Product verification and added value: Identification of species; Identification of geographical origin; Quantification of ingredients in mixtures
- Validation models that guarantee safety of new technologies and novel foods: Properties of new biomolecules; Toxicity of new food components
- Prevention of food risks, by means of reducing and/or eliminating contaminant agents and allergens in foods; Predictive microbiology
* New Food Products:
- Active compounds and functional ingredients
- Improving the nutritional profiling of food
- Design of new food products
* Novel Technologies:
- Preservation and stabilisation and of food products
- On-line control
- Development of new food products through the application of new technologies or processes
* Sustainability of the Food Chain:
- Process efficiency
- Recovery and utilization of by-products
- Rational use of natural resources
Do you work for a SAFE consortium member institute?
Register as an Individual Member of the SAFE consortium and access Member's Only pages including downloads of documents and presentations, plus receive SAFE announcements directly by email !
Registration is simple. Send an email to the SAFE Scientific Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org, from your institution email address and include your three Food Safety interests.